Perspective No. 3 - Sketchstory No. 34 - 'Phir Chidi Raat Baat Phoolon Ki' by Usha Iyer





If these flowers could speak they’d have a lot to say about last evening! Even saying that sounds amusing - just to think what all that could have meant! 


When the parlour lady pinned them to my hair, she said, “mazaa aa gaya. Aapkey joodey mein kya mast lagtey hain yeh phool! Perfect matching bhi! Sir dekh ke khush ho jaayengey!”


I had rushed back from work, picking these flowers up on my way. Who gets married in this horrible weather!!! Friday evening party too! Chee! It was a reception we had to attend. Had to!! 


I wore my new white chikankari saree, so fresh to look at, but not really cool. Lest family or hosts take it badly, I wore a red bindi and red bangles to complete the look. And some light jewellery. My long hair needed help (it was Friday!), therefore the quick visit to the neighbourhood parlour to make a neat bun of the mess.


He picked me up from the parlour.


At the reception, we made all the right moves, meeting the elders together and so on. Laughed too. I even enjoyed some of the wonderful music. The flowers were witness to the compliments and approving looks. One family friend commented that I was the best dressed that evening and that she was dying in her heavy silk. 


The flowers would have spoken about the loud silence in the car too. It was the last time we were in a car together, alone. By the time we had reached home, the flowers were in my lap, sandals and bangles off too. The drama was over. 


But I hang on to the flowers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sketchstory No. 3 - 'The skirt, the sand and the sea' by Anchita Ghatak

Sketchstory No. 22 - 'Ananya' by Padma Gargeya

Sketchstory No. 7 - 'Urmila's Story' by Sandhya Srinivasan