Perspective No. 1- Sketchstory No. 34 - 'The Prop' by A.V.S.





I have been sitting on this chair for the past four hours. I am expected to be very patient as I sit in a rehearsal, waiting for my chance. I do have a smile on my face, in case anybody thinks otherwise. I am bored out of my mind, extremely restless and supremely irritated. Don’t worry, I have the lead role. Apparently, the entire story is supposed to be about me but I hardly have 10 full minutes on stage. Technically, I can be referred to as arm candy. 


I am so sweaty in this shiny plain white saree, holding a mala of flowers, wilting with each second in this heat. I am supposed to be the young, demure and ideal woman waiting for my husband to come rescue me. I am supposed to work on my ‘sad face’ for a 2 mins scene before this huge, burly man comes to save my life and takes the spotlight. Again, I am the so-called ‘lead’. I am very grateful for this role, my only ‘big’ role in the past two years. Right now, I can only think of the huge bag of laundry waiting for me back home. To think of it, I could have genuinely walked home, washed and dried my clothes and walked back in this much time. 


I am told I have to wait another two hours, the men are practicing an important action scene, it seems. Oh, I never told you who I was playing, right? I am supposed to play Sita. My big role, which I am hoping can do something for my not so big CV.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sketchstory No. 3 - 'The skirt, the sand and the sea' by Anchita Ghatak

Sketchstory No. 22 - 'Ananya' by Padma Gargeya

Sketchstory No. 7 - 'Urmila's Story' by Sandhya Srinivasan