Sketchstory No. 36 - 'When it is time, it is time' by Usha Iyer

                                    


Today I take this.off. What I have worn always the last 18+ years means nothing today. What it really meant is questionable anyway! But for me there were sentiments. Till sometime back.


It is like slow death… when a relationship dies. First there is a sense of disease. Then denial. Then the symptoms show up again. This time they are hidden. Under laughter and fake smiles, with time chugging along and birthdays and festivals, new clothes and gifts. Then you can’t hide it anymore. You don’t even want to, actually.


Gifts are given and received and mathematics is done more carefully than ever. Because the heart has gone out anyway. And we are going through the motions, by force of habit, believing we are giving the kids some childhood memories. But with the heart absent, even those are just like the family pictures. Complete, but missing so much.


There’s a story Ma would tell us of her Chitti, who was a super wit. When, after a huge fight, her husband asked her to take off the taali and leave the house, she asked him to call all those who had attended their wedding. Because it was more than just a personal bond between two people. She wanted so badly to keep the taali.


When I keep mine away in the drawer today, no one will know. Except that my chain will feel lighter and I know I have moved one baby step forward. I don’t need the people who attended our wedding to approve. While some might have wondered why I even wore it all this time, some might be shocked! 


As for me, I know it is the right time. Like they say, when it is time, it is time...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

  1. Truly said...one doesn't need approval from others! U know when the time is right . The journey of life continues....with miles to go....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sketchstory No. 3 - 'The skirt, the sand and the sea' by Anchita Ghatak

Sketchstory No. 22 - 'Ananya' by Padma Gargeya

Sketchstory No. 7 - 'Urmila's Story' by Sandhya Srinivasan