Sketchstory No. 25 - 'Ma' by Tarini Sharma





This is a picture of my mother, taken at my sixth birthday party. We had gone to a park with my friends to celebrate. It was a special birthday because it was the last one we spent together - she passed away 9 months later. It took me a long time to get over my grief. 


I was hurt that my mother wouldn’t see me graduate, achieve my goals, or grow up. But what I was the most upset about is that she wouldn’t know my husband. He was filled with light and heart - just like her. I knew they would have gotten along. 


A few months before my wedding, my best friend called me. While putting together the scrapbook for my bridal shower, she had come across a picture from my sixth birthday at the park. It was me, my parents, and my friends with a boy on his bike. It was my husband! 


I nervously called up my dad to see if he remembered too. “Oh yes, he couldn’t ride his bike and he fell close to your mom. She taught him the trick of looking ahead instead of looking down to keep your balance towards where you’re going”.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sketchstory No. 3 - 'The skirt, the sand and the sea' by Anchita Ghatak

Sketchstory No. 22 - 'Ananya' by Padma Gargeya

Sketchstory No. 7 - 'Urmila's Story' by Sandhya Srinivasan