Sketchstory No. 32 - 'Mirror Image' by Usha Iyer

    



I look closely in the mirror while brushing my teeth.. I have one grey hair near my left temple. Are there more? Not that I can see just now! It’s funny how age creeps in, right? One grey hair at a time perhaps! 


I have an important meeting lined up today, first thing in the morning. I rush through the morning rituals of tea, two biscuits, a handful of badaam for the way in a small box, bath and dressing up. Sandals, saree, kajal, stop! Yes it is there. Yes, it is grey. Only one. Nice! Chalo, who cares!!


I walk to my office with a spring in my step and with my head held high. Like I always do. My crisp saree is the type that says ‘don’t mess with me’. I know my job, I know I am good!


Meeting, meeting, phone call. Tea. Washroom break. I look around and then check again. It doesn’t really show, you know, the grey one. But it is there alright! And I love this lip colour! But in the bright lights here I notice these fine lines around my eyes. They were not there earlier. Nobody told me they are there either. 


Actually who would?


Sitting at my desk, I wonder about my life. I smile. I have everything anybody needs. Or wants. My left hand goes up to touch the left temple lightly, as if to say a soft welcome. I wonder how many are there. 


Lunch appointment at 1. While in the lift with a colleague, still discussing the issue on hand, I steal a glance at the mirror. Oh!! I look like Ma. It must be this saree. She never wore a nose pin and hates mine. She wouldn’t touch these earrings. Or have her hair braided with colour strings. She always wears a bindi. I don’t. Still? How!?


Hi Ma!! Radhika…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sketchstory No. 3 - 'The skirt, the sand and the sea' by Anchita Ghatak

Sketchstory No. 22 - 'Ananya' by Padma Gargeya

Sketchstory No. 7 - 'Urmila's Story' by Sandhya Srinivasan