Sketchstory No. 4 - 'Look up girl!' by Usha Iyer




My teacher asked me to take a few copy books to her friend, another teacher, who was teaching in a junior class in the next building. A break like this in the middle of class was always welcome. Also it gave one the air of having become a little special to the teacher, because she chose you! 


The other building was also another school! 


So I walked up, delivered the copies and skipped back. Suddenly, from nowhere, there were three boys in front of me and before I could say a word, I was pushed into a closed doors of a window. Old buildings had windows with sills to sit on. While one or two laughed raucously, the third felt me up and I could feel a hand on my chest. I don’t know what exactly happened even! Groping, I suppose that is what it is called, now that everything has a name.


I couldn’t get a sound out of me. This episode didn’t last over a few seconds. But it has lasted in my mind forever. That laugh still rings. This was in 1977.


The abuse never stopped. It never does in Delhi. Age no bar! 


One learns to give it back, though. With a compass poking out of the college bag, with the deathly stare, with changing routes, with just asking, “kya ho raha hai?”


Look up girl!! It isn’t your fault.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

  1. Yes look up girl! And Give it back!👊👊👊 Unfortunately in earlier times, our parents and schools never taught us about good touch and bad touch. Society was discreet only. Thankfully now there is more awareness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sketchstory No. 3 - 'The skirt, the sand and the sea' by Anchita Ghatak

Sketchstory No. 22 - 'Ananya' by Padma Gargeya

Sketchstory No. 7 - 'Urmila's Story' by Sandhya Srinivasan